Rich kids are into COBOL

Tor Arntsen kspt.tor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 20:17:28 CST 2015

On 4 March 2015 at 18:56, Todd Goodman <tsg at bonedaddy.net> wrote:
> * Guy Sotomayor <ggs at shiresoft.com> [150304 12:45]:
>>[...] I had several cases where one program needed a
>> specific version of a system library, another program needed a
>> *different* specific version of the library and the rest of the system
>> wanting yet a 3rd version of the same library.
>>
>> TTFN - Guy
>>

> After running into that particular package hell early on in my Linux
> experience, I switched to Gentoo linux where multiple versions of
> libraries can be installed at the same time and used by whatever
> software needs them.
>
> Todd

As can Debian, so I'm a bit surprised. It's straight forward on *nix-like
systems to have multiple run-time versions of a library. It's designed
for it.
The problem is when you need different *compile time* (aka development)
versions of a library, then you'll need to have different name spaces.
The remaining issue may be that the distro may not provide different
versions of all the libraries you need out of the box. Then there will
be additional
work. And that may or may not be more effort than it's worth, granted.

-Tor