Working HD for a IBM PS/2 model 30

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 15:06:55 CST 2015

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Enrico Lazzerini
<enrico.lazzerini at email.it> wrote:
> Hi at all,
> a friend of mine, has an old working IBM PS/2 model 30. She needs to change
> its broken hard disk

When we used a PS/2 Model 30 for our accounting machine and we needed
more than 20MB, we just went with an ISA MFM drive adapter (WD WX-1 or
similar) and a "modern" (for the early 90s) 3.5" ST-506-type drive
around 50MB or so (ISTR under DOS there was one 30MB partition and
some leftover).  I think we had to move one jumper on the planar
board.

I don't know IBM's IDE scheme for the PS/2, but Western Digital did
have some 8-bit IDE drives (seen in some Commodore equipment) that is
*not* the same as 16-bit "ATA" IDE.

I think your best bet is an 8-bit interface to either CF or SCSI.
8-bit IDE is a bit rare.

-ethan