MicroVax II in original DEC Rack on Ann Arbor MI Craigslist

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri Mar 13 10:36:36 CDT 2015

On 03/12/2015 10:24 PM, Sean Caron wrote:
> There's nothing particularly special about it... just a (relatively
> stripped, at that) BA23 and a CDC 9-track drive in a rack. If the buyer
> could actually sell the stuff by breaking it into shippable parts it might
> contribute to a good home for the gear in the long run I don't see any harm
> in that... Many systems are designed to be whole-rack units and I agree
> it's wrong to split those up... but IMO this is not really an example of
> that...

Hmmm, CDC 9-track tape drive?  How is that interfaced?  SCSI?
Ah, I see some mention of Emulex boards, so probably one of
those is the Pertec formatted interface.  The tape drive is a
Magnetic Peripherals Inc., either 92181 (800/1600) or a
92185 (1600/6250).

There was a SCSI interface board for these drives, which I'd
like to find.  I have a 92185 with the Pertec interface, and
made
a hideous little interface board for it, but it is somewhat of
a nightmare.

Jon