VAX tests? (Mouse)

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sun Mar 15 19:54:26 CDT 2015

On 2015-03-16 00:59, Jon Elson wrote:
> On 03/15/2015 05:05 PM, Mouse wrote:
>> [Seen thanks to off-list assistance - thank you!]
>>
>>> Brief background: Real VAXes had real diagnostics. MicroVAXes had
>>> diagnostic$
>>
> I'm pretty sure there was a TK-50 diagnostics tape (I never had one, but
> saw the DEC
> techs use them).  There may also have been floppies in the very early
> MicroVAX
> days.

That would be the MDM. And yes, I think it existed for both RX50 and
TK50, but I've only used the TK50 version myself.

I still have the TK50, but I wonder if my TK50 drive is operational...

I can't remember how much CPU diagnostics is on that tape. My
recollection is that it's more about testing peripherials, but there
should be some basic tests in there as far as I remember.

> There was a set of CPU diags on floppies that came with our first 780.
> I think
> we also had a set of additional diagnostics on 9-track tape if the CPU
> was fully operational.

That won't help. This would be the diagnostic supervisor, which do not
run on MicroVAXen.

	Johnny