Qbus split I&D?

Roe Peterson roeapeterson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 10:26:00 CDT 2015

> On Mar 16, 2015, at 8:54 AM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Roe Peterson <roeapeterson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have run 2.9BSD on a real 11/24 (F-11, no split I&D).
>>
>> Thats what I gleaned from comments in the unix faq.  I am going to try installing 2.9 on my 11/23+ and see how far I get.
>
> What disk controller do you have?  That's the biggest issue.

Im thinking about a pair of RL02 drives myself.

I am guessing I will have more success prepping a pair of RL02 images with simh and using vtserver to copy them to the RLs than trying to find a suitable working tape drive...

>  There was no MSCP support for 2.9BSD in
> those days.  There are modernish patches now.  I did my install onto a
> pair of RL02 disks (because I didn't have an RK07).  You will need
> more than 10MB if you want to rebuild the kernel, but you can put the
> install kernel on a 10MB disk and noodle around.  ISTR there's support
> at install time for a number of types of system disk, but RK05 was now
> too small.  There are also 3rd-party ESDI and SMD controllers that
> would work.

Ive got an old eagle drive I want to play with, I have an emulex SC03 on the way...