IBM 5100 Restoration in progress

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Tue Mar 17 15:36:52 CDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 08:45:49AM -0400, Santo Nucifora wrote:

> Update:  Unfortunately, I think I'm at a dead end.  After cleaning
> everything up, I am still at the "A" in the "Bring Up" program that isn't
> very far but it's better than garbage.

Well, you've gotten farther than I ever did.  I've had one of these, or a
similar model, for a couple of decades or so.  I was at a friend's house one
day and saw it out on their front porch.  They were tossing it.  They said
one of their kids picked it up somewhere.  They also claimed that they had
it checked at Radio Shack and it only needed an inexpensive part.  Anyway, I
saved it and its printer from being tossed.  It wouldn't power up at all.
I'm not a hardware person, and never found the right tools to open it up.
Sadly it got left at my parents place along with some other stuff when I
moved up to the area I'm in now.  When I went to collect said stuff I found
the computer and its printer outside in a wheel barrel, with its power cord
cut off.  My father claims I told him it was "junk." Aaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggg!!
It had been rained on, and there was standing water in the wheel barrel.
The printer was so rusted up I tossed it.  I wish now I'd kept it even if it
was too far gone to save.  I still have the 5100, or whatever model it is.
In case the previous torture it endured wasn't enough it's been out in my
garage for years.  I probably don't want to know what shape it's in
internally.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.