IBM 5100 Restoration in progress

Santo Nucifora santo.nucifora at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 05:58:10 CDT 2015

Hi Christian,
Thank you for the reply.  I think I mentioned the machine halts or my
keyboard doesn't work or it's not far enough in the Bring Up test to allow
the Diagnostics to come up with the special key sequence.  This is new
territory for me so I'm not sure if input is accepted at that point.

Where did you find the code for the Bring Up tests?  I would love to have a
look.  The 5100 Maintenance manual is not very specific and certainly
doesn't have code in it (unless I missed it).

My registers looks like this:

You'll notice that the first two characters in second line is not right.
Sadly, it's gotten a little worse after taking this picture so lines 5 and
6 have some garbling of the dots. Since I was seeing text, I didn't suspect
the display card right away (again, not knowing the machine) but it may be
bad RAM on the display card.

I'll refer to your  IBMparts.txt file and see what is on that card.  If you
do see anything else in the registers, I'd be very happy to hear your
thoughts.

Thank you!  I now have renewed hope.
Santo