Qbus split I&D?

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Wed Mar 18 11:57:16 CDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:16:02AM -0400, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>The UNIBUS map will not respond to UNIBUS cycles in the address range
>assigned to the UNIBUS memory.

Just to state the obvious:  I assume the whole point of this "Unibus fence"
concept is really for things that *aren't* memory.  Mixing in some Unibus
memory that's slower than PMI etc. and needs to use real addresses for DMA
(vs. mapped ones) seems like a giant hassle for just 6.5% more RAM, so I
figure it's really for bus windows or ROM boards or frame buffers or any
oddball device that looks like memory and is too big to fit in the I/O page.

(Even more obvious in case this is greek to anybody:  the Unibus map acts
as a RAM emulator for DMA accesses, passing those to real memory after
remapping the addresses, and the "fence" optionally sets a Unibus address
range in the low 248 KB where the map is disabled from doing that and steps
aside to let any real Unibus devices at those addresses respond -- or not,
so timeouts are still possible.)

John Wilson
D Bit