USB --> SCSI

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 11:51:41 CDT 2015

On 3/27/15 9:36 AM, Bob Brown wrote:
> Does anyone know if a usb --> scsi adapter might allow me to connect an hp 9-track tape drive (7980s) to a computer running windows-7?
> Has anyone done it?
> Any pointers (drivers etc)?
>
> Thanks.
> -Bob
Yes, sort of.  I have a Xircom PortGear USB->SCSI adapter hooked up to
that exact drive right now, concidentally.  Win7 does not have drivers
for the Xircom, but your average Linux distribution does -- and if you
run that distribution in a VM (for example, using VirtualBox) you can
forward the USB device from the host to the VM and use it there, which I
have done successfully to image disks and tapes.  It's not the fastest
device, but it gets the job done and it's very convenient.

- Josh