Computers_With_BASIC_in_ROM / was Re: Texas Instruments CC-40 won't boot

Ian McLaughlin ian at platinum.net
Sun May 3 10:50:50 CDT 2015

>>> That’s what I thought, which means the Exidy does not belong.
>
>> However, with the Atari 400 and 800 and the Exidy sorceror, the BASIC ROM module was, IIRC, included with the
>> machine in the standard configuration
>
> Yeah, I was about to say that.  The Sorcerer was always sold with the BASIC ROM PAC fitted, and to my way of thinking, that's really no different from a ROM plugged into the board, as it was on a Commodore PET or an Acorn Atom.

As a data point, my parents purchased an Atari 400 for me in the UK when they first became available.  It did *not* come with the Basic cartridge, which wasn’t available in the UK for about 2 months after the 400 came out.  So, for at least a short period of time, in at least one market, there was an Atari configuration where Basic wasn’t ‘standard configuration’.  But I sure had a fun 2 months playing Star Raiders :)

Ian