Sun dead battery / unresponsive openboot

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Sun May 3 11:50:32 CDT 2015

The PROM battery appears to have died in my Sun U1 (Ethernet address and
host ID all ff's etc.).

I can hack a new battery into it at some point - but can anyone confirm
whether the openboot environment should be responsive even while the
battery is hosed? Via a serial console, I can send a break and get an OK
prompt back, but then it appears to go unresponsive and won't accept
commands (no key presses aren't echoed back to the screen).

Using the same terminal emulator / cabling is fine with my other Sun (a
U2), so I'm reasonably confident that the environment is OK, and that the
problem is local to the U1 machine.

cheers

Jules