Sun dead battery / unresponsive openboot

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Sun May 3 17:50:48 CDT 2015

On 05/03/2015 03:48 PM, Sean Caron wrote:
> I have seen almost anything once on Sun machines :O Are you testing with
> all cables disconnected just power and serial terminal? I have seriously
> seen a bad network cable cause mysterious hangs on a SS10 once...

Yeah, initially I just had serial and power hooked up, but because it seems
to be defaulting to a network boot I did try connecting it up to my LAN
too, but with no luck.

> You've tried some of the other usual troubleshooting stuff like swapping
> out/around some of the memory, removing Sbus cards, etc?

Not yet, but will do so.

I did just attack the PROM module with a dremel and so am now running with
good battery voltage via an external battery (but at this stage it still
throws up an "The IDPROM contents are invalid" message, of course)

I'm suddenly wondering if the serial port is fried. It's possible that I've
only ever run this machine with keyboard/rodent/monitor attached, not via
serial console, and a hardware fault on the rx side would explain the
symptoms. I'll drag the necessary bits out of the basement and see if that
changes anything (this room is rapidly filling up with vintage crap ;-)

cheers

Jules