Cassette tape data recovery

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Mon May 4 23:51:02 CDT 2015

It's presumably a Burroughs Certified Digital
Cassette.

I don't have the tech manual handy but ISTR (and
just confirmed by winding one through my audio
deck) that they are essentially C60s (i.e. 30
minutes/side), but with BOT/EOT holes and funky
flip-over or sliding write protect tabs, as well
as an off-centre notch in the top edge that
indicates the side. They're driven by the
wind/rewind motors, i.e. there's no capstan or
pressure roller.

I've got several boxes of them that I've been
meaning to archive "some day" and they seem to
still be in pretty good shape; the pressure pads
are made of felt, not the notorious disintegrating
foam rubber used in many audio cassettes.

They use two tracks, one for data and one for a
clock; I don't recall for sure whether they're
half or quarter tracks but I *think* they're
quarter tracks.