360/50 microcode listing

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri May 8 10:23:00 CDT 2015

On 05/07/2015 10:20 PM, jwsmobile wrote:

> On 5/7/2015 6:57 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
>> Lots of 360's were owned in the later days.  All the ones
>> I knew of, with the possible exception of Washington
>> Universities' first 360/50
> The UMR 360/50 was one of the first owned 360s.  They were
> given a 360/40 because IBM could not deliver the 50 on
> schedule.  I don't know how that was handled.
>
> The 50 at UMR was also odd because it was a 512K main
> memory machine, and 1mb of LCS, giving a non power of 2
> memory size. Supposedly lead to some bug fixes.

Shouldn't have needed much software tinkering, as a number
of other models could be set up with non power of 2 memory
size.  Maybe a hardware quirk was that it needed to make a
program exception if you addressed a 1.7 MB location, and
instead it would get a machine check with a main store
parity error.  That would take maybe just one added gate to
trigger the program exception on the right combination of
address bits.
> Ran HASP and MVT 21, as well as CPS

Well, I gotta say, our 360/65 sure beat the pants off the
360/50 that it replaced.  In fact, the /65 beat the pants
off TWO 370/145's they had.  They used the /145's for
"timesharing" and got FOUR users per machine!  Wow, that was
a riot.

Ahh, the "old days".

Jon