RT11 / RSTS-E games

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com
Fri May 8 13:05:49 CDT 2015

On 5/8/2015 12:22 PM, Brian L. Stuart wrote:
> On May 8, 2015, at 8:27 AM, "John H. Reinhardt" <johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This is more in the vein of RSTS/E and VAX-11 games but
>> does anyone have a copy of the Dan Lawrence DND?  It
>> used to be hosted on <http://dnd.lunaticsworld.com/> but that site's
>> server crashed and the files were lost and the ownder did
>> not allow the Wayback to archive it.
>>
>> I wasted so much time on that at school at
>> Rose-Hulman.  A Rose student also did a lot of
>> modifications to our copy. I had a tape with it once but it
>> was destroyed by accident.
>
> Is that the one Dan Day worked on?  I'm pretty sure he did that
> before I got there, but as I remember the story, he played the
> game and got to the point where there wasn't really an endgame.
> So he wrote a FORTRAN decompiler to turn the binary into source
> that he could modify, wrote an endgame, and then recompiled
> the results.
>
> BLS

Brian, Yep!  I got a copy on magtape before I left Rose but I made the mistake of leaving the tape unguarded when I was working at Flour-Fernald here in Cincinnati and an operator in the computer room initialized it. :(

Dan had written a town into it and there were 4 or 5 different dungeons you could explore by going back to town.  That part was experimental AFAIK and you had to know someone to get to play it.  I never did.

It sure would have been nice if someone would have archived all the software at Rose before the PDP and VAX left.

John H. Reinhardt