Vermont Research 5017

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Sat May 9 23:34:45 CDT 2015

On 5/9/2015 6:08 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
> Anyone have any literature on the Vermont Research 5017?
> It was a cartridge drive shipped from 1975 until 1985 probably rebadged and
> sold under some system manufacturer's label.
I have Syquest drives, as well as Jazz drives which both had embedded
servos.  No literature on them at my fingertips.
>    Most likely the first HDD to
> use embedded servo in a production drive.
First embedded servo drive I saw was a Tulin 1/2 high 5 1/4" form
factor, 40mb RLL.  Mine was still functional last time I fired it up.
It worked longer than a lot of other drives with servo tracks. They
largely died due to media (probably stuck) or servo problems though.  I
think the Tulin and it's successors were plated media as well, rather
than oxide.

I am not sure that the difference is because of plated media vs. oxide,
anyone have a track record to discuss that?