8-bit Computer TV Channel Use

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Thu May 21 17:48:38 CDT 2015

> On May 21, 2015, at 12:11 , John Foust <jfoust at threedee.com> wrote:
>
> At 03:03 PM 5/19/2015, Mark J. Blair wrote:
>> I've been brainstorming about hypothetical hardware for converting video from vintage 8-bit computers to drive modern monitors well, with support for all of the dirty tricks like color aliasing that many of them used.
>
> Hasn't this list discussed existing devices that work for this task?
> They're aimed at the game console market.

I don't recall a previous discussion of that, but my lack of recollection certainly doesn't mean that it never happened.

It's been mentioned recently on various retrocomputing podcasts that many (most? all?) of the existing solutions out there work poorly with some vintage computers, particularly the Apple II. It was mentioned in passing on Open Apple #43 in the discussion of LCD panels suitable for an Apple II GS laptop conversion, and specifically discussed on RCR #100 in the Host's Topic segment as something lacking in the market (links below).

Maybe there are good solutions that just aren't well-known in those circles? If so, I'd like to hear about them.

I'm also very interested in learning about specific instances of "computer X worked poorly with adapter/display Y, and it failed in this particular way". While I recall hearing multiple mentions of this sort of trouble in general, I'd like to hear of specific examples of how specific combinations failed, i.e. "monitor Y couldn't sync to video from computer X", "adapter Y generates monochrome output instead of deliberately aliased colors from computer X", etc.

http://www.open-apple.net/2015/01/22/open-apple-43-january-2015-happy-new-year-with-ben-heck/

http://rcrpodcast.com/episodes/2015/5/10/rcr-episode-100.html

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>