RDI PowerLite 110 and OpenStep - watchdog-reset

Ian Finder ian.finder at gmail.com
Mon May 25 18:15:43 CDT 2015

Hi folks,

So I recently made a very poor trade for an RDI PowerLite 110 under the assumption that it could run NeXTstep or OpenStep, as allegedly RDI supplied the PowerLite with this OS in some configurations.

The PowerLite is essentially an SS5 in a chunky, ugly laptop.

When I boot the OpenStep and NeXTstep installers however, at the second stage loader I get a "watchdog-reset" message from OBP.

Ultimately it's the same issue as discussed here:
http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3153&sid=b8cb75adb7245747301f9e82beef570a

Any hope in getting this to run? Any ideas out there?

Or am I stuck with a fat ugly wannabe SparcBook 3? (I have a few of the 3GX/3TX family which seem like far nicer machines, the only reason I wanted this RDI P.O.S. Is the weitek framebuffer in the SparcBooks isn't supported by OS/NS, but the CG6 in the RDI supposedly is. What a garbage machine RDI produced with this one...

Thanks,

- Ian