Old HP test equipment power connectors...

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed May 27 14:58:15 CDT 2015

> For my part, no, I've always replaced them (where doable) with the common IEC C14 chassis inlets. See the bottom
> of my web page. Yes it does require some cutting of the original, so it depends on whether one wants to do that,
> and one's will and skill with hand files.

I've done that a few times. I did keep my HP9100 and its plotter original, though :-)

> I keep around a box of C14s scavenged from discarded equipment for the purpose, but I also replace fixed lines
> cords with C14s whenever I can, because I hate moving and storing equipment with dangling power cords.

I assume new C14s are not hard to get over there. Over here every electronic component supplier -- even
Maplin -- stock them.

In a number of cases I have cut the mains lead on an instrument to about 4" long and fitted the cable mounting
C14 plug (jf that's the right term). I also hate cables dangling from my shelves (although Tigger likes them)
and coiling them up on top of plastic cases is a bad idea (the plasticiser in the PVC reacts with common
case plastics and leaves nasty marks or worse. That is why new stuff often has the cables packed in plastic
bags -- as you know the manufacturers of such things save every last penny and would not include a bag if
there was no reason for it.

-tony