Looking for the Tek 465 of Logic Analysers

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri May 29 08:30:49 CDT 2015

    > From: Jon Elson

    > On 05/28/2015 09:53 PM, Ken Seefried wrote:

    >> Ease of finding complete kit; nothing worse than dropping a dime on
    >> what looks like a good deal only to find you're missing the unobtanium
    >> cable

    > The Tek 1240 should work.

I can second that. I recently bought a flock of them (for spares/parts for
the first one I bought), because they were so cheap on eBay - several I got
for $25 + shipping. Most of the ones I bought came without probes, etc, but I
managed to round up a very complete set of stuff without spending too much
money. Tek documentation is incredibly thorough, and easy to obtain; and they
are very easy to work on (in terms of accessability, etc). Etc, etc, etc.

The speeds/etc you are looking for are within their range. When filled with 4
16-channel data acquisition cards, you get 64 channels. They seem to have
quite powerful triggering/etc capabilities, and they are easy to use/control.

The only possible issue (for some people) is that the memories aren't large
(although you can chain identical DACs together to get slightly longer
memories). And I'll echo Tony's comments - ECL is pretty much de rigeur, and
as for making your own probes, fuhgeddaboutit; the 1240's probe pods (there
are two kinds, TTL-only, and 'pick a voltage') contain giant custom chips.

	Noel