Looking for the Tek 465 of Logic Analysers

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Fri May 29 13:13:36 CDT 2015

I've got to go with Alexandre on this, look for an HP 16500B or 16500C or
if you want something smaller, an HP 166x or 1670x. You should be able to
find a nice one in good shape with all the pod cables, break-outs,
"grippies" ... a "full backpack" for a few hundred dollars or less.

An HP 165x in nice working shape with all accessories might be worth about
cost of shipping to me, that's it; I wouldn't pay much for it and I
wouldn't mess with anything much older ...

Just for reference, I paid exactly $99 for my HP 1662 and it was in great
shape with all accessories; the front panel rotary selector was broken off
but it came with an HP-HIL mouse so no biggie...

I assembled my working 16500B out of two 16500B units, one basically dead
but full of cards and accessories, the other, an empty chassis in great
condition with no cards or accessories. I think I paid $99 for each unit
and with a few little upgrades ... deep-memory LA card and a pattern
generator I have about $300 in it. That gives me 68 channels 1 MSa 100
state/500 timing logic analyzer, 16 channels 1 GHz timing-only
shallow-memory, a 50 MHz pattern generator with 12 data bits, 3 strobe, and
a two-channel 100 MHz DSO. Maybe I got a little lucky with that deal but
not impossible to replicate ... you can do similar for $300-500.

I've looked at the Tek analyzers of similar vintage to the HP 1660
series/HP 16500 and to me, they seem more limited and harder to use than
the HP analyzers, IMO ... while I love Tek for scopes and other
miscellaneous instruments, I think HP is king in logic analyzers ...

You will also find many many many completely obsolete and fairly limited
analyzers being sold for way more than they are worth ... don't waste your
time and money. You can get a nicer instrument than you might originally
think, for way less money than you may have originally considered. Logic
analyzers, I think you really need to know the various product lines very
well to get an outstanding deal ... keep the model numbers in mind and just
watch eBay ... shouldn't take long for something to turn up that will do
the job ... I see great deals on analyzers there on almost a weekly basis.

I think the logic analyzer is a great tool especially when playing around
with digital systems ... they can do things for you that you may have
thought impossible. Wish I had one on hand when I was doing my senior
design project for the BSEE! :O

Best,

Sean