RMS [was Re: Terminology [was RE: IBM z890]]

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Nov 4 11:37:22 CST 2015

On 11/04/2015 10:42 AM, Fred Cisin wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2015, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>> Cool.  How about "label" versus VTOC versus "folder"
>> versus "directory" versus "FNT"...versus...?
>> So many names...
>
> Was it considered "copyright infringement" to use the same
> terminology as somebody else?   Like "standards" everybody
> had a unique one of their own.

But, IBM had a WHOLE dictionary full of IBM-specific terms
for everything.

memory was storage (or main storage)
disks were direct access storage devices (DASD)
tapes were sequential access
the register set of the 360 was local store (or local storage)
microcode was in control store
and, there is a LOT more of this that escapes me at the moment.

Jon