Teletype services

John Ball ball.of.john at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 10:27:20 CST 2015

>Curious as to the setup you are attempting this with, i.e. exactly what
modem are you
>using?
>One in the base of the 33 or some common external one?
>
>I'm not familiar with all the possible modem variations one might find in a
33, but
>AIUI the modem for the 33 at the standard 110 bps was Bell 101 standard.
>
>There's not going to be a lot to talk to out there using the old
parameters.
>Even if someone had an auto-baud dial-in setup out there somewhere, I
wouldn't
>anticipate it being compatible.
>
>We have a 101-standard modem (in the base of a 33) around here, but have
never tried it >or tried connecting it to a phone line, I'm also not
familiar with it enough to know
>how originate/answer issues are dealt with (whether it can do both) for
such 33 to 33
>communication.

Okay, this is where things get cool. For you folks who have issues with
javascript heavy pages, I don't recommend clicking the following image
links.

The teletype is connected to one of the original 300 baud Hayes Smartmodems
I had in a box doing nothing which solves a lot of problems with trying to
make an older dataset work with the much more plentiful Smartmodems and
their later clones by just about everyone. (which as a few have mentioned
have no issue working at 110 but with a catch) That I've found so far you
can dial pretty much any other hardware modem that isn't relying on a DSP or
sound CODEC (so late ISA and all PCI cards don't work) and it will work by
pure modulation. You just need to make sure the COM port on the machine is
set  for (or will automatically detect and switch to) 110 or else it assumes
300 and nothing works.

The quirk I added however is that I took the guts of the teletype's UCC6 and
a TWX controller and built a custom CCU that gives me feedback on the modem
status and lets me control and dial from the front panel. The modem itself
now hides in the stand and I don't need to type in commands to do anything.
It looks as if it's a factory option. I even added a feature where in
Automatic Answer mode the motor is relay controlled by the modem itself.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsandy/Computer%20related/CGS_1118
.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsandy/Computer%20related/IMG_1390
.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsandy/Computer%20related/teletype
/CGS_1131.jpg

I have a massive writeup and a video that are about ready to go live but I
need a set of videos demonstrating the setup connecting to a remote user,
connecting to a remote machine and a remote user dialing into the teletype.
That's where I was having my troubles.

>Why don't you suggest the easiest and obvious: use a small analog PBX.
>There are _plenty_ of them floating around, and most can be had for free;
>you could for example even use your FritzBox Phone (a DSL WiFi Router with
>analog phone ports). Then you can do internal calls from one port to any
?other port (and also use your old rotary dial phone with VoIP if you
>like).

People have been nagging me for the last year to get a Panasonic 308. I've
yet to come across one so far that wasn't weirdly priced, plus my parents
aren't interested in a PBX being installed in their house.

-John