Could someone make the list do the [cctalk] thing in the subject line?

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Nov 17 14:32:30 CST 2015

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015, Al Kossow wrote:
> Yes, they were two separate lists at one point, then someone decided to
> start forwarding messages between the two, and other people started
> posting replies to the wrong list. All of the replies to the post about
> the collection being given away was from cctalk, but the actual message
> was posted on cctech. You can't effectively filter out the crap from the
> other list because the headers being sent through aren't always right. I
> lost the original collection msg because my filter thought it had been
> sent from cctalk and forwarded to cctech.
> There was a discussion about getting rid of one or the other list.
> I wish someone would just DO IT.

If I recall correctly (unrefreshed dynamic wetware RAM), it was not two
separate lists.  CCTECH was a subset of CCTALK.  CCTECH was to be ON-topic
ONLY, with CCTALK quite a bit looser, to be able to devolve into
determining location from ham radio callsigns, etc.  Everything posted to
CCTECH was echoed on CCTALK.  A participant needed only to subscribe to
one list, depending on how tolerant they wanted to be about off-topic
tangents.

Then there was a horrible crash.  It was neither Y2K, nor winter solctice
2012, but the entire universe came to an end, and there was NO list
traffic at all!  Heroic efforts were made, and the list[s] were brought
back to life!

But nobody could manage to successfully replicate the previous
configuration, and all the king's horsemen and all the king's men could
not put it back together again.  Posts to CCTECH did get forwarded to
CCTALK, and posts to CCTALK that were deemed to be ON-topic did get
forwarded to CCTECH, and those foolish enough to be subscribed to both
lists did get two copies.  But, then the posts to CCTALK that were deemed
worthy to be copied by CCTECH also got automagically forwarded back to
CCTALK.  When people posted to both lists, or replied to a post to both
lists, or didn't pay attention to what they were doing, there were
duplicates, and duplicates of duplicates, and sometimes duplicates of
duplicates of duplicates.

The list management have strived valiantly to repair the system, and have
gotten pretty close, but it may never be quite as it was in the good ol'
days..

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com