PDP 8 Timesharing

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Mon Nov 30 14:34:12 CST 2015

Johnny wrote...
------------------------------------
Fun stuff. However, I do not expect you'll see much impovement in performance in ETOS compared to MULTOS.

You'll gain if you have code that do CIF n, followed by much code before the JMP/JMS, but that is not exactly a common pattern in most PDP-8 code.
Also, MULTOS do some clever stuff. It actually will modify in memory code that do polled loops for example, to not do those. Unless ETOS do the same, that might actually hurt ETOS more. Also, MULTOS is the only timesharing system I know that actually also handles the TD8E controller, if you happen to have one of those.
I only wish I knew where I have version 2 of MULTOS. I uploaded version
1 a long time ago, but only at a later date realized that it wasn't the latest version. I *think* I should have version 2 somewhere as well, but my memory might be wrong also.

I would love to see some comparison between ETOS and MULTOS by anyone "in the know". I'd just like a nice timeshareing system for my 8E that is close to OS/8 and runnable with the hardware I have.

Alternatively, TSS looks nice, but I am not sure that the full OS was ever found and is available? Hardware Reqs?