This is sad...

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Sat Oct 3 18:09:04 CDT 2015

Software is a different story because technically it's licensed and not
purchased outright like hardware is ... we can't dispo software ... it all
has to be destroyed ... the licenses are generally non-transferrable...

Getting the software is definitely half the battle! But it's increasingly
possible to do between things that have become more or less abandonware, to
vendors that have had hobbyist programs, to systems that have an implicit
RTU to the OS that follows from hardware ownership ... it depends. Software
preservation is definitely important; I try to save everything that I can
get my hands on, especially operating systems and compilers - the basics!

Best,

Sean