Dead PET4032

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:40:40 CDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian Graham" <binarydinosaurs at gmail.com>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic
Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2015 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: Dead PET4032

> Hi Tony,
>
> The screen's not connected, nor keyboard. I
> figured there was no point
> until I got a chirrup.
>
> My logic tester is a cheapo Micronta, yes.
> There's an unpopulated ROM
> socket at UD11 so I can easily get +5 and GND
> from there for probing, I'll
> do that tonight.

Is UD11 the only empty socket? If there's a chip
in UD12 I'd remove it in case it's defective or
has bent pins etc.; it'll be an option ROM of some
sort.

Tony's right about the CG; it's not directly
connected to the data & address busses so it's not
likely to hang the system unless it's pulling down
Vcc. I would connect the monitor though instead of
just relying on the buzzer for signs of life; if
there's any display at all it might give a useful
clue.

I'd also check UD7 for poor contact or bent pins

Finally, I'd ask on the Vintage Computer Forum;
even without me (;-) there are some very
knowledgable PET folks there.

Good luck!