VT52s, VT61s lots of DEC and DG keyboards- return trip through Maine, MA, NY, PA, OH, IN to IL

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Oct 13 14:04:08 CDT 2015

On 10/13/2015 11:43 AM, Brent Hilpert wrote:

> TMK these were generally referred to as electrographic printing.
>
> This sort of scheme goes back to at least the 40/50s for fax
> machines: http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~hilpert/e/deskfax/index.html There
> the metalisation is on the back of the paper.
>
> Similar technique used in an early 70s calculator, but the
> metalisation is on the front:
> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~hilpert/eec/calcs/CanonEP151.html John Wolff
> describes the mechanism in more detail:
> http://www.johnwolff.id.au/calculators/Canon/SE600/SE600.htm

My first contact with this paper wasn't printing, but rather in biology.
  You'd wrap the stuff around the drum of a kymograph, connect the
(insulated) stylus to a HV (battery-powered induction coil setup) power
source, and grounding the drum.  Turn the power on and let 'er rip.   I
suspect that this technology probably goes back to the 20's at least.

--Chuck