New logo: Vintage Computer Federation

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Oct 14 14:45:27 CDT 2015

On 2015-Oct-14, at 11:12 AM, Mouse wrote:
>> The hardest part is finding parts for the FPGA, sure I can use 74XXX
>> but was it out in 1975-76?
>
> If you mean some specific 74-series part, well, it depends on which
> one.
>
> But, if you mean 74-series logic in general, I think so.  Sometime
> within a year or so of '78, I was working with the stuff, and it was as
> an undergrad, so I doubt I would have been working with just-released
> logic.

From original sources/refs I have kicking around:

	- The first 54xx devices were introduced by TI in 1965.

	- 74xx was around by 1966.

	- H & L was around by 1969.

	- S was around by 1971.

	- LS was around by 1973.

	- ALS was around by 1981. I have a vague recollection of seeing ALS parts with 79 date codes.

I suspect ben(OP) was alluding to when now-current or last-current TTL was introduced.