PDP8 / ETOS

Joe fast79ta at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 16 13:41:56 CDT 2015

I am using your copy, with SIMH 4.0, on the PiDP8 replica.. I'd love to have
a real 8, but I have neither the space or permission for anything that
large.
 I found the .TIFF manual on another site, and PDF'd it.

I also got Multos8 from you, and was playing with it too. That one, I
haven't figured out how to add a second serial terminal to the unit. One
works fine, the other causes SIMH to freak out with lots of blinky lights
before it or the PDP8 finally crashes.

I'm sure it's a problem with BUILD configuration. I haven't had much luck
with it.

> > I'm trying to add an OS/8 disk pack so I can mess around with the
> > timesharing on two terminals.
> >

> Using SIMH since I only have one RK05 on the machine right now.
>
> [djg at laptop BIN]$ ./pdp8
>
> PDP-8 simulator V4.0-0 Beta        git commit id: d4720d35
> sim> att rk0 etosv5b-demo.rk05
> sim> att rk1 diagpack2.rk05
> sim> set tsc enabled
> sim> bo rk0
>
> .R ETOS
> ETOS V5B
> OPTION?T
>
> ?LOGIN PLEASE
> !LOGIN
> ETOS V5B AT 00:00:00 A.M.  ON TUE 01-JAN-75 ACCOUNT? 0,4 PASSWORD?
> JOB  3 LOGGED IN ON CONSOLE  0
>
> WELCOME TO DAVID GESSWEIN'S ETOS SYSTEM
> TYPE HELP TO OBTAIN ASSISTANCE
>
> .^VS
> !ASSIGN DK1
> !CONT
>
> .^VS
> !LOOKUP 5=DK1:,0
> !CONT
>
> .DIR CHN5:
>
>  01-JAN-75
>
> ABSLDR.SV   6 04-JAN-73
> CCL   .SV  31 04-JAN-73
> DIRECT.SV   7 04-JAN-73
> PIP   .SV  11 04-JAN-73
> FOTP  .SV   8 04-JAN-73

Well, you seems to have nailed it. I'll give that a go, but it looks very
similar to what I was trying, minus the CONT command, and I was using lookup
3, not 5.

It's such a cool system, and I blew a lot of minds when I was showing it at
my hackerspace, running on two real serial terminals running 2 basic
programs at the same time, and said it was running on a 32KW machine, with a
1.6MW drive, back in the 70s.

Thanks for the help, and making this historical stuff available!

Cheers, Joe