Oddball floppies for trade - 8", HS (outer edge), weird cutout

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Oct 18 20:00:57 CDT 2015

On 10/18/2015 03:56 PM, Paul Berger wrote:

> It goes on to say that when the first read/write drive was developed
>  (Igar) the hard sector holes where dropped in favour of more usable
>  surface are.  I have seen the diskettes for minnow and and they
> where considerably less floppy than the later diskette.

The Memorex 650 accommodated 64 tracks/cylinders instead of the later
and more customary 77.  It's worthwhile noting that the 651 implements
FM on the drive--there's no "raw data" signal output.

> It is hardly surprising that Memorex followed this scheme in those
> days they where famous poaching engineers and producing clones of IBM
> storage products.  I remember a customer having a Memorex disk unit
> on a string of 3370s and I think you could have swapped parts between
> the Memorex unit and a 3370.

IBM occupied a large segment of the market and was a favorite target for
lots of followers.  If you just observe the passage of Memorex through
the history of acquisitions and being acquired and sold, it's truly
amazing that Memorex still exists--as a brand of Imation.

--Chuck