Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Oct 20 12:08:20 CDT 2015

About four months since I last announced anything. There have been
various development since, and I figured I should encourage people who
are using BQTCP/IP for RSX to upgrade to the latest release.

A short list of changes:

TCP:
. Small bugfixes in various states.
. Bugfix in window handling. TCP reception could occasionally accept
data outside of window.
. Added ability to dynamically change transmit and receive buffer size.
. Bugfix. SYN packets could result in lost pool if sockets were closed
with outstanding SYN packets queued.
. Bugfix. If pool is full, system could crash on incoming connections.

FTP:
. Added SUMMARY, PROMPT, MGET and MPUT commands.
. Improved filename parsing and handling for mapping between local and
remote filenames.
. Bugfix. FTP would abort if a long file transfer took place, since the
command channel had a timeout.
. Much improved progress line for file transfers, including ETA and
delta between updates.

FTPD:
. Bugfix. If a file transfer was followed by an immediate close of the
connection, the file could be left in a locked state.
. Expanded time stamp information in directory listings to include seconds.

TELNET:
. Bugfix in telnet options processing.

TELNETD:
. Bugfix in telnet options processing.

IFCONFIG:
. Added commands for setting default and maximum allowed tcp transmit
and receive buffer sizes.

RMD:
. Added information on task page about UDP connections.

TRACERT:
. Added /NUMERIC switch

As usual, the distribution is available from:
ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.dsk
ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.tap
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/pdp11/rsx/tcpip/tcpip.dsk

The documentation is also available through ftp on Mim, or also at
http://mim.update.uu.se/tcpipdoc

I believe the state of the code is now good enough that I expect there
will be fewer updates to the basic networking drivers in the future. I
plan to find some new protocols to work on next, and also improve some
of the current clients and servers as the need arises.

(On a different note, Madame.Update.UU.SE is now a CNAME for
Mim.Update.UU.SE, making the naming of the machine consistent between
DECnet and TCP/IP, in case someone wonders why the name have changed...)

	Johnny