VT100 and/or VT105 rescued from scrap

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Thu Oct 22 08:15:23 CDT 2015

On 2015-10-22 15:05, william degnan wrote:

>>> Note that while in theory the AVO was an added option, the VT102 did not
>> have it (or the printer port) as separate parts that were added to a basic
>> VT100. The VT102 had a different board with all those options already on
>> the motherboard, and no additional options could be installed.
>>
>> So, you cannot take the AVO options out of a VT102 and add it to a VT100
>> (for example).
>>
>> Also, for example, the keyboard on a VT100 differs from a VT102.
>> You could use a VT100 keyboard on a VT102, and vice versa, but the LEDs on
>> the keyboard of a VT102 are used for different things than on a VT100.
>>
>>          Johnny
>>

> Thanks for the clarification.  I you're saying for the 101 and 102 you
> start with a core terminal at the factory and they add the options or it's
> a field upgrade kind of thing because parts not swapped out easily or
> added.  I confirm about the ROMs too, I noticed that the SetUp menus differ
> depending on what options are installed.

No.

The VT100 is field upgradeable to a VT101 (I think) or a VT102 (I know).
However, the VT102 is not the same as a VT100 with the added AVO and
printer. Functionally they are the same, but inside they will look
different.

The VT102 have a motherboard with the AVO and printer option integrated
into the motherboard itself. A VT100 with the options added will have a
daughterboard and components added to it's motherboard.

So, the VT102 do not start out as a VT100 and then some stuff added.

There were (if I remember right) some other options for the VT100 as
well. You cannot add those other options to a VT102 either. The VT102 is
pretty much a fixed and finished product as it is. The VT100 on the
other hand could be expanded in various ways.

The VT102 was basically a cost reduced solution with a fixed set of
options, which were the ones most commonly asked for and used.

And, as I mentioned, they redesignated some keyboard LEDs on the VT102
for specific information. Thus, on a VT100 you have four user
programmable LEDs on the keyboard, but on the VT102 you only have one.

	Johnny