360 mockups Re: Has anyone hear of the Computer History Archives Project?

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Thu Oct 22 10:21:08 CDT 2015

> Subject: Re: 360 mockups Re: Has anyone hear of the Computer History Archives Project?
> From:    "Peter Coghlan" <cctalk at beyondthepale.ie>
> Date:    Thu, October 22, 2015 9:14 pm
> To:      "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
> > Steve wrote:
> >>
> >> (By the way - I'm looking for a red INTERRUPT insert, red STOP insert and
> >> pearl POWER ON insert for my 360/40 console, if anyone can help :)
> >>

> > Is this for a mockup or a real 360/40 console?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Peter Coghlan
> >

> Oh, it's quite real :)  I have some ideas on machining the inserts from blocks
> of ABS plastic, incuding the curved depression on the front. I have some red ABS that is
> the right colour but not thick enough so I'll pay another visit to the plastics shop to
> get something more suitable. Just another of my gunnadoos...
>
> A lot of consoles are mounted on the wall or in a wooden frame, which is ok but doesn't
> excite me very much. So....
> My display concept is to replicate the front of the 2040 CPU to approx 100mm depth, using
> a welded steel frame and painted wood or folded sheetmetal sides. The masthead to go on
> top (I have derived the measurements of the screw posts in CAD, another machining job).
> The frame supports the console and the operator table.

I guess what I should have said is something more like are you starting with
a 360 console that has a few bits missing or are you starting from scratch?

Is this console going to end up in some way functional by being connected to a
real 360 (doesn't sound like it when you say replicate the front of the CPU) or
maybe to a 360 emulator?

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.