Common Maxtor MFM drive failure mode -- any ideas?

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 03:26:41 CDT 2015

On 10/23/15 1:19 AM, Joseph Lang wrote:
> There is a plastic bumper in the head/disk assembly that turns to goo.
> When the head retracts it hits the bumper and gets stuck in the goo. The goo will eventually win. The head will no longer load. I can't say For sure this is your disk problem but it was a verry common Maxtor failure.

I thought that was true for Micropolis drives (like the DEC RD53, a
Micropolis 1325/1335) -- or does the Maxtor have a rubber bumper as
well?  As I said I had one open and the heads were not stuck (I could
move them with my finger -- while the drive was spinning of course :))
and I didn't notice any goo-laden parts, but maybe I wasn't looking in
the right place...

- Josh