The Internet & our hobby

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Oct 23 12:06:35 CDT 2015

    > From: Johnny Billquist

    > not going to try and contradict what you wrote.

Right, I wasn't meaning to imply what you said was incorrect, just giving a
little more detail on what was a murky and complicated process.

    > I suspect it's because people now assume that "Internet" was always
    > TCP/IP

Define "the Internet"! :-) If one describes it as 'the large collection of
interoperating networks speaking TCP/IP', then that statement _is_ correct!
If one instead uses a broader definition, something like 'computer networks
in general' (pulling in things like Usenet), then, no, it's not correct.

I'm _not_ trying to say that there is only one, correct, definition of 'the
Internet' - but various statements about 'the Internet' may or may not be
accurate, depending on which definition is used.

	Noel