tool for installing pin in PCB extractors?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Oct 25 00:20:30 CDT 2015

On 10/24/2015 09:49 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> What tool does one use to install the metal pin into a plastic PCB
> extractor, e.g., the Bivar CP-36 or Keystone 8642?

There are expensive tools for the purpose, but I've always just used a
pair of long-nose pliers to compress the end of the spring pin slightly
to get it started, then drive it home with a soft-faced mallet.  Make
sure that the body of the extractor is supported.

To remove, an appropriately-sized roll pin punch works just fine without
mangling things.

YMMV,
--Chuck