PDP 8 panels. Feedback

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Oct 27 11:59:39 CDT 2015

On 10/27/2015 09:33 AM, Jon Elson wrote:

> The ultimate way to drill holes in Plexi is with an end mill.  It can
>  make a slight chipping when it punches through the back, so you
> either need a backstop material or lighten up the feed a bit just
> before it goes through.  (This of course requires a center-cutting
> end mill, I prefer 4-flute for this.)

Sure, but I'm assuming that the original poster doesn't have a
Bridgeport mill at his disposal.  But a drill press is quite within the
budget of most hobbyists.  I'd think that if you already owned a
vertical mill, you'd know how to work with plastics.

Back in the day, I loved hanging out at the model shop just watching the
action and trying to second-guess the guys there.  Building a case with
curves such as side contoured to a 200 inch radius was serious business.
  The finished product was in clear acrylic, all ready to go to the mold
makers.

Similarly, making the die set for punching sector holes in a 8" floppy
would be child's play for someone with a wire EDM rig in his garage.
But not every hobbyist can afford one.

--Chuck