Somewhat OT: Freighting Items

Ali cctalk at fahimi.net
Tue Sep 1 10:22:32 CDT 2015

> I'm not surprised by those quotes (and Freightquote is in the ballpark
> for pallet loads that can't be top-loaded.)

Okay, good to know I am not getting fleeced. I am actually okay with
FreightQuote but the problem is the seller is very hesitant to palletize the
item. If I can get him to get it on a pallet that might be the best.

> You could try uship.com but be very careful you fully specify
> everything you want and don't expect anything you don't agree with
> (like must be shipped inside or tarped, if you can't load/unload then
> they need to do so, etc.)

I've been a bit hesitant going to uship because of the damn AMC show. I
understand they probably have some of the bigger idiots on the show but the
things they do is just amazingly idiotic... With them do I need to worry
about having a dock or delivery to door or is that expected? I would specify
"no top load, in cab or covered for the total duration of transport,
strapped so it does not roll/move, and no loading/unloading." Anything else
that I should worry about?

> Freight companies will pick up and drop off from your location but if
> it's residential then usually on the street (it's up to you to get it
> on and off the truck usually.)  This is because they usually send an
> 18-wheeler.

It is not so heavy that we cannot bring it off the truck with myself and the
driver (assuming they do that). I can then just use a dolly from the street
or roll it on its built in wheels.

> If it's residential then you need to tell them that and you'll pay more
> (generally about $75 more in my experience.)  This is so they'll send a
> liftgate truck and will call to make a delivery appt.

I can do either (i.e. residential vs. business) but as I said we do not have
a dock at the business either. Of course there are three or four works
available at any time to just manually unload it if they will let us.

Thanks for all the advice Todd.

-Ali