MicroVAX 3800 DSSI Issues

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Tue Sep 1 16:35:44 CDT 2015

> No dice...
>
> ROHIT1$ mount /over=id dub0:
> %MOUNT-F-BITMAPERR, I/O error on storage bitmap; volume locked
> -SYSTEM-F-FORCEDERROR, forced error flagged in last sector read
> ROHIT1$ mount /noassist /system dub0: user01
> %MOUNT-F-BITMAPERR, I/O error on storage bitmap; volume locked
> -SYSTEM-F-FORCEDERROR, forced error flagged in last sector read

The disk (or less likely the controller) could be faulty but it's more likely
it has media errors in one of the not-good places to have errors :-(

You may be able to MOUNT it /FOREIGN but this will not allow file level access
but it might (with luck) allow it to be backed up with a view to restoring it
onto a working disk.  It may also allow you to $ DUMP DUB0: /BLOCK=START=n
where n is some block number past where the errors are.  Unfortunately, if it's
anything like RD type disks, exercising it may also make it worse.

$ MOUNT /NOWRITE might also be worth trying.

> But it did work for DUB1:!
>
> ROHIT1$ mount /over=id dub1:
> %MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, BACKUP_DISK  mounted on _ROHIT1$DUB1:

This has mounted it privately to your process.  If you dismount it and instead:

$ MOUNT /NOASSIST /SYSTEM DUB1 BACKUP_DISK

it will be available to all users.

> ROHIT1$ show dev
>
> Device                  Device           Error    Volume         Free Trans Mnt
>  Name                   Status           Count     Label        Blocks Count Cnt
> R7CY2A$DIA0:            Mounted              0  VMS54_2DISK     173103 134   1
> ROHIT1$DUB0:            Online               0
> ROHIT1$DUB1:            Mounted alloc        0  BACKUP_DISK    1404072 1   1
> ROHIT1$DUC10:           Online               0
>
> I'm not sure exactly which disk is DUC10:, but mount tells me the medium is
> offline.

It likely has problems like DUB0 :-(

> Still attempting to learn enough VMS to get a directory listing on DUB1:,
> but I'm getting there! Thanks for the tips.

Try this:

$ DIR DUB1:[*...] /SIZE /DATE

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.