MicroVAX 3800 DSSI Issues

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 1 17:12:02 CDT 2015

On 9/1/2015 5:25 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Glen Slick <glen.slick at gmail.com> wrote:

>> format =

>> Now
>>>>

>>> What happens if you try:
>>>
>>> $ MOUNT /NOASSIST /SYSTEM DUB0: USER01
>>>

>> You could also try this so you don't have to specify the label
>> $ MOUNT /OVER=ID DUB0:
>>

> No dice...
>
> ROHIT1$ mount /over=id dub0:
> %MOUNT-F-BITMAPERR, I/O error on storage bitmap; volume locked
> -SYSTEM-F-FORCEDERROR, forced error flagged in last sector read
> ROHIT1$ mount /noassist /system dub0: user01
> %MOUNT-F-BITMAPERR, I/O error on storage bitmap; volume locked
> -SYSTEM-F-FORCEDERROR, forced error flagged in last sector read

Yeah, your disk has got problems. Either an actual hardware problem or a corrupted file system.

The FORCEDERROR flag usually means a hardware problem - bad disk block.  It means reading the disk, the checksum failed and retries did not successfully read the data so the disk controller has flagged the block as bad.  It looks like this has happened in one of the blocks for the storage bitmap that VMS uses in the interal file structure to maork used blocks.  Doing an ANALYZE /DISK /REPAIR dub0:  may fix it.  You also may have to initialize the disk and run a bad block checker on it.  Doing this will lose whatever data is on the drive though so try the ANALYZE first.

Look in your VMS documentation in either the System Management Guide or the System Utilities guide. There should be more information in one of those.

> But it did work for DUB1:!
>
> ROHIT1$ mount /over=id dub1:
> %MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, BACKUP_DISK  mounted on _ROHIT1$DUB1:
>
> ROHIT1$ show dev
>
> Device                  Device           Error    Volume         Free
>   Trans Mnt
>   Name                   Status           Count     Label        Blocks
> Count Cnt
> R7CY2A$DIA0:            Mounted              0  VMS54_2DISK     173103
> 134   1
> ROHIT1$DUB0:            Online               0
> ROHIT1$DUB1:            Mounted alloc        0  BACKUP_DISK    1404072
> 1   1
> ROHIT1$DUC10:           Online               0
>
> I'm not sure exactly which disk is DUC10:, but mount tells me the medium is
> offline.

If the list of hardware in this <http://i.imgur.com/UKOa45R.jpg> is correct, then I'd guess DUC10 is the Maxtor Erasable Optical Disk that's in the top of the cabinet next to the tape drive.

DIA is your internal DSSI bus devices
DUBx are the drives on the Emulex QD34 SMD controller - PUB is the disk controller device.
DUCx are drives on the CMD CQD-223TM controller (tape and disk) - PUC is the disk controller device, PTB is the tape device

The Exabyte tape doesn't seem to be showing, unless that's MUA1, but it says TK70. I can't tell if there is an actual TK70 drive behind that black smoked panel.

> Still attempting to learn enough VMS to get a directory listing on DUB1:,
> but I'm getting there! Thanks for the tips.

Directory dub1:[*...] Will show you the whole drive, directory, by directory.
Do a "help directory" at the "$" prompt to get the command qualifiers to show you specific information like owner, protection, file size, file dates