C-64 / Epyx FastLoad bug(s)? Workaround?

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 22:30:48 CDT 2015

Anyone here using (or have used) a C-64 with the venerable Epyx FastLoad
cartridge? I'm running into a VERY annoying bug, and would like to know
what if anything is known about it.

Bug works like this..

Use the FL "$" command to display the disk directory. Immediately after,
try to save a program to disk that has a certain number of chars in the
filename in common with another filename on the disk. For instance [SAVE
"PROGRAM03",8] when a file (or files) named "PROGRAM01", 'PROGRAM02", etc.
already exist.

The bug results in a 74 "drive not ready" error, and the save fails.
Sometimes picking a more unique filename will allow a save. Other times, it
seems no filename will allow a save.

Only way I've found to get around the error is to load a different file..
which is no good, as it will overwrite the one in memory. So far, I've only
noted the bug when working with BASIC files.

What's up with this? Is there a workaround?