M8192 KDJ11-A ZKDJB2 XXDP Test Failure

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Mon Sep 14 13:55:13 CDT 2015

Mouse wrote:

> > Please, can someone from the natural english speakers here explain
> > how this sentence is meant:
>
> > "ZKDJB2  [...].  Ensure that halt trap option is disabled (jumper W9
> > installed)."
>
> > For me (as a german) that means that the jumper W9 has to be
> > installed to run the test,
>
> That would be my first interpretation too: that it is a directive
> addressed to someone putatively running the test.  It _might_ mean that
> the test also tests to ensure that the jumper is installed.
>
> I see nothing there that would justify the test failing when the jumper
> is installed but working when it's removed.  To me, that indicates that
> something is broken: perhaps the hardware or perhaps the description
> you quote (offhand, from the tiny amount I know of this case, my guess
> would be that it's the text you quote that's wrong).
>
> /~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org
> / \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Hmm, the text is to be found here:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp11/xxdp/PDP11_DiagnosticHandbook_1988.pdf

page 1-78.

The interresting thing is that this page states clearly:

".R ZKDJ??

SWR = 000000 NEW ="

..and other programms are behaving exactly like that, but not that
ZKDJB2.BIC test I have:

.R ZKDJB2.BIC
ZKDJB2.BIC

CZKDJ-B-0 KDJ11 CPU DIAGNOSTIC
CZKDJB END PASS #     1
CZKDJB END PASS #     2
CZKDJB END PASS #     3
CZKDJB END PASS #     4
CZKDJB END PASS #     5
CZKDJB END PASS #     6
CZKDJB END PASS #     7
CZKDJB END PASS #     8
CZKDJB END PASS #     9

CZKDJ-B-0
        ^
      Huh?

If the line clock is disabled I get the error like this:

BOOTING UP XXDP-XM EXTENDED MONITOR

XXDP-XM EXTENDED MONITOR - XXDP V2.5
REVISION: F0
BOOTED FROM DL3
124KW OF MEMORY
NON-UNIBUS SYSTEM

RESTART ADDRESS: 152000
TYPE "H" FOR HELP !

.R ZKDJB2.BIC
ZKDJB2.BIC

ERROR WHILE TESTING BOARD FUNCTIONS
ERROR # =001166
ERROR PC =040662
043632
@

..regardless how exactly it is disabled. Here I have done this trough
switching the clock off with the DIP Switch on the front Panel PCB.
Exactly the same occurs if I put the Jumper W9 on the pins and let the
Switch in the On position.
At the bottom of the description page:
"New revision of DCJ11 (J11 CPU Chip) chip has a change to fix a problem
found with ASH and ASHC instructions. The old diagnostics (REV B1) will
fail with the new DCJ11 chip set installed.
You need a patch."

What is an old chip an what is a new one? There are several revisions of
J11 Chips out there...

So the question is: Was the writer of the test description drunk?

All other tests  I've tried (MMU, FP, Memory) are ok, regardless wich
J11 I'm inserting and if the board is running with 15.2 or 18Mhz Clock.

Regards,

Holm
  www.tsht.de, info at tsht.de, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741