12" Floppy Disks

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Sep 15 10:54:45 CDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 7:27 AM, tony duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > I've been contacted by a teacher who's looking for any information about
> > 12" floppies. Am I imagining that they really existed? I'm sure I've seen
> > one or seen adverts for them, maybe at Bletchley Park. Others he's
> > contacted think he's getting confused with 12" laser discs but I'm not so
> > sure.
>
> First I've heard of them :-)
>
> I wonder if he's thinking of the 14" hard disk cartridges, perhaps the
> front loading
> ones used in things like the RK05 drive.

I have the platters from one of these drives. One of the "youngsters"
brought
in platters from a 5 1/4" drive to show off his IT cred. Then one of the
older
youngsters brought in  a ~9" platter from some SMD drive. I brought in the
~14" platter from a very old DEC drive that crashed (RK04  sticks in my
head, but I might be wrong).

Perhaps this is what he's thinking about?

Warner