Backups [was Re: Is tape dead?]

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Tue Sep 15 16:03:33 CDT 2015

I ride herd on maybe three or four thousand Hitachi Ultrastar A7K{2,3,4}000
2 TB and 3 TB disks and they take a real pounding with the workload here
and they have just been fantastic ... great drives; very solid ... Also
used the WDC RE4 when Thailand got flooded out a few years ago and we were
in a pinch ... they've been pretty good as well ... not quite as good as
the Hitachis, but not awful (a moot point now that Hitachi owns WDC, I
suppose).

I don't trust Seagate quite to the same level however I think they're fine
for lighter-duty server or certainly home environments ... it's hard to
find a truly bad drive these days (although they are certainly out there
... the WDC 2 TB "Green" unit will always stand out in my mind).

Best,

Sean