Cryptolocker (was RE: Is tape dead?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Sep 17 11:06:04 CDT 2015

On 09/17/2015 12:49 AM, Dave G4UGM wrote:

> "Security" isn't just about secure software, it’s a total mind set.
> One slip and you are doomed. I am pretty careful but even I managed
> to install the d at mmed Ask tool bar whilst updating Java... .. in my
> humble opinion many Linux users are rather more blasé about the
> security of the OS that they should be....

If it's online, it's probably a good policy to assume that it's not
secure.  If you have information that's critical to your operation, keep
it offline.

Witness this, something that you would consider to be absolutely secure:

http://www.electronicproducts.com/Computer_Peripherals/Systems/Microsoft_experts_can_crack_encrypted_database_with_this_easy_old_trick.aspx

I'm constantly amazed by the lax security for major corporate and
government accounts.  Single user name, single password and no limit to
error retries.  Bloody amazing.

--Chuck