ENIAC programming Was: release dates of early microcomputer operating systems, incl. Intel ISIS

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Sep 17 11:44:11 CDT 2015

>      > From: Dave Wade
>

>      > to me a "computer" without self-modifying code is a programmable
>      > calculator even if it has index registers...

Most modern computer languages run with the executable
instructions in a "pure code" section, which is set to be
NOT writeable by the program.  This avoids a LOT of simple
mistakes and REALLY hard to find program crashes.
This is true of MS, Linux/Unix and the VMS program
environment that I have used for about 40 years.  I think
you have to go back to maybe Windows 95 or RT-11 to not have
that protection.

Jon