Self modifying code, lambda calculus - Re: ENIAC programming

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Sep 17 14:37:05 CDT 2015

> On Sep 17, 2015, at 3:27 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 17, 2015, at 2:56 PM, dwight <dkelvey at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What is the definition of self modifying?
>> Is it changing an instruction to execute in the thread to be run?
>> How about adding or subtracting something to be done in an execution
>> queue?
>
> I'm not sure if there is a universally agreed to definition.
>
> It also matters why the question is asked.  I can think of a couple of answers:

I meant to explain that point on "why".  Self modifying by definition #1 matters if you're looking at I-cache management, but address space ID numbers may take care of things.  For #2, you're probably going to be doing explicit I-cache invalidation.

For #3 and #4  (which are subsets of #2) the same would be true if they were in current use, but they generally aren't.

	paul