OT: x86 machine code [Was: Re: Self modifying code, lambda calculus - Re: ENIAC programming]

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Fri Sep 18 06:06:51 CDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 06:58:24AM -0400, Mouse wrote:

> > You have a lot of byte code virtual machines out there.
>
> Such as every x86 processor since, what, the Pentium?  They're all RISC
> cores (designed for and) running an x86 emulator.

I've been told this more than a few times and read it in various places.
It always make me wonder, could we not allow a mode in modern Intel
processors that lets us bypass the x86 code emulation/translation and
run "directly on the metal" (if there were such a thing).

The purpose, of course, would be to gain performance. Certainly this
would already have been done if there was any significant gain to be
had?

/P