Backups [was Re: Is tape dead?]

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 11:46:40 CDT 2015

On 18 September 2015 at 18:25, Dave G4UGM <dave.g4ugm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you 100 % sure you don't need anti-malware...
>
> http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/08/05/apple-to-patch-actively-exploited-privilege-escalation-bug-in-os-x-10105---report
>
> from what I have seen the fix from Apple isn't a fix...
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/22/os_x_root_hole/
>
> but to run SUID. Of course as you know from Facebook I am not a MAC expert, but I do know that if a product has as many lines of code in it as OS X it will have bugs and security holes...

Well, overall, yes.

It's a Unix box. If it was a web server or something, it would be
remotely exploitable, like any other Unix box.

But it's not. It has no outwardly-accessible services at all -- it's
behind a firewall and all it does is share a single folder with my
laptops. It doesn't even have ssh. It isn't a mail server, web server
or anything.

There are a few Trojans on OS X, but I think I am smart enough to avoid them.

There's no adware, no spyware (except what Apple might have built in),
no self-infecting viruses, nothing. I don't use most of Apple's apps
-- I don't use their browser, email client, chat client, or
productivity tools; I very occasionally use their media player and
their text editor, and that's about it. The Apple text editor isn't
the default, incidentally.